First Descents: In Search Of Wild Rivers
Newly Revised and Expanded 2nd Edition
Why risk everything for a run down a churning, twisting, often uncharted river? From young Tao Berman and Brad Ludden to venerable Yvon Chouinard and Royal Robbins, 20 of the greatest adventurers of our time will take you along on their journeys...and then you'll understand.
This newly revised and expanded edition of First Descents combines classic tales plus riveting stories from today's rising-star river explorers. Some accounts will make you laugh. Others trumpet white-knuckle danger. Still more testify to majesty of wild rivers on five continents.
- Hop aboard a rubber pontoon on the Colorado River with a naive teenager named Richard Bangs - before he ran first descents on 35 rivers around the globe
- Plunge into Papua New Guinea's Pandi River with Kyle Dickman and five other skilled kayakers who...well, no spoilers here.
- Shift between awe and fear when Jamie McEwan paddles whitewater in the dimming twilight of a Mexican canyon.
- Share Andrew Pietowski's nightmare's on the Rio Colca in Peru
- Go behind the scenes where only David Roberts can take you when the BBC films its TV documentary on the Wahgi River
- Dare to imagine now strife-ridden Pakistan as a Shangri-la of exotic mountain ranges, dramatic gorges, and unharnessed waterfalls as you follow John Yost's inspiring account on the Indus River.
Come along these adventures and 14 more, inside First Descents: In Search of Wild Rivers.